The use of mobile devices has grown exponentially and that trend is not about to slow down. Mobile and connected device initiatives have brought about the use of thousands of unmanaged and unsecured devices with access to critical data and information… add to that the growth of the Internet of Things (IoT) and even more unmanaged devices are taking business risks to an even higher level.
Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions surfaced in response to these mobile and IoT initiatives and continue to grow due to the number of benefits that mid-size and larger businesses can realize through implementation, such as:
- The ability to track all devices accessing corporate data and information
- Secure wireless access on individual devices and other network security features
- Security systems on devices that separate company apps from personal apps
- Capability to remotely lock a device that’s been lost, wipe any sensitive data from a stolen device, or restore functionality to a found phone with backed-up data
- Logging and reporting capabilities for end-user activity
- Cloud-based platform options that are lower cost and easier to configure and manage
With changes in technology, data types industry trends, security threats, and security compliance along business fluxes, creating an MDM strategy that clearly establishes goals and requirements is critical to overcoming the task of getting all involved on the same page. Consider incorporating the below when building your strategy:
- A user-centric, cloud-based platform
- Security and regulatory compliance requirements an organization already has in place, as well as those it needs to incorporate in the future
- Network and service management considerations
- Endpoint management for all mobile devices, including IoT devices
- Specifications for mobile operating systems and devices that are already in use
- List of reporting capabilities that the organization needs
- Security solutions that are entirely comprehensive
- The ability to grow and change with the ever-changing needs of an organization
- Desired outcomes of implementing the MDM solution — e.g., increase of mobile device security across the board, greater user accessibility, lessening IT help center expenses, etc.
Choosing and Implementing the Right Managed Mobility Services (MMS)
There are many MMS solutions on the market making it difficult for businesses to select the right one that best fits their individual needs. Here are some things to consider which one is right for your mid-size and larger business:
Determine Current Mobile Requirements
- Will the solution easily fit into your current landscape of applications and IT systems?
- Does it fit the size and scope of your company’s current needs and long-term objectives?
- Is it compatible with existing data and mobile device security networks and requirements and the operating systems most users will have their mobile devices?
- Is the solution both flexible and scalable to change and grow with your company’s needs?
Ensure the MMS has the Appropriate Integrations and is Customizable
- Does it integrate efficiently with all other existing IT management systems within your company?
- Can it be built entirely around your current IT infrastructure and support the company needs once it’s deployed?
- Can you customize services and pay for only you need and not what you don’t?
Look for MMS Providers with Good Track Records and Reviews
- What is the stability of the provider? How long have the been in business?
- Do they have a good customer service track record?
- What type of reviews do they have on social media and reliable business ratings sites?
Find Out What Kind of Support the MMS Offers
- What kind of support do they offer?
- Do they have 24/7/365 support for your businesses work-from-anywhere workforce?
- Do they have the bandwidth to handle the load?
More and more employees are using personal devices and multiple devices at once to access valuable company information leaving your company data and devices at risk because there isn’t a solid mobile security strategy in place. Include these key features to generate a comprehensive mobile security strategy to help you bridge your mobile security gaps:
- Initiatives to combat all current mobile threats, as well as emerging threats
- Well-managed cloud networks and applications, as well as wireless networks
- Two-factor identity authentication across mobile devices
- Intense focus on securing data itself with encryption and by restricting apps that can access it
- Compatibility with all MDM systems and solutions being used to manage devices
- Agility and flexibility to adapt to end users, technology, and emerging risks
Having an MDM strategy that clearly establishes goals and requirements, choosing and implementing the right MMS solution, and having a comprehensive mobile security strategy are the biggest measure you can take to circumvent threats and save your business from a huge loss.
As your telecom and IT solutions expert, REACH takes pride in keeping you connected. Discover how we can help you determine the best MDM solutions for your business and help you with the implementation process. Connect with us today by calling Valerie at 715-330-4200 or filling out our contact form.